Manager of Offshore Development (US)
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Our mission at Sense is to reduce global carbon emissions by making homes smart and efficient. We’re serious about having a real impact on climate change by empowering people to easily take care of their homes and to actively participate in a cleaner, more resilient future.
To accomplish our mission, we are building an AI and automation platform for home energy infrastructure. Our consumer product, built on our unique machine learning technology, gives people visibility into the energy usage of their homes and provides insights to simplify saving energy and money. We are a team of highly curious, collaborative engineers who enjoy working together to solve a wide range of interesting technical challenges across a deep stack that spans embedded, native mobile, web, and the cloud. If the idea of having a significant positive impact on our product (and climate) sounds exciting to you, let's talk!
We're looking for an engineering leader to drive the expansion of our engineering team into Latin America. In this role, you will
- Be responsible for the development and success of our offshore engineering expansion efforts
- Work in concert with our offshoring firm to keep our team of engineers engaged, happy, and productive
- Lead hiring and onboarding of great candidates as the team grows
- Tightly integrate the offshore team into our collaborative and inclusive work culture
- Collaborate closely with internal stakeholders to determine priorities, scope projects, refine requirements, manage resource allocation, and guide projects to successful completion
- Cultivate technical excellence through mentorship and oversight
- Keep the team and stakeholders aligned by frequently and proactively communicating status, risks, and tradeoffs
- Help improve the processes and organization of the engineering department as we become a multinational team
- Ensure that your team is efficiently delivering quality releases that are aligned with business goals
- Travel to visit our development team in Costa Rica
This role reports to the VP of Engineering.
- Strong communicator with good EQ
- Previous engineering management experience, 3+ years
- Professional experience as a software engineer, 2+ years
- Experience leading globally distributed teams
- Experience working with Latin America teams is a plus, as is fluency in Spanish
- Previous experience with startup culture and scaling is a plus
- Experience working with external partners is a plus
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Sense is building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We welcome candidates with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in tech, and we strive to foster an engaging, respectful and supportive community where everyone feels empowered to do their best work. Sense is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. Wondering if you should apply? Reach out with your resume and thoughts about the role and let’s discuss.
Sense is a growing VC-backed startup with an experienced leadership team and revolutionary machine learning technology.
- Best Startups in Cambridge - Tech Tribune
- "One of the world's top 100 AI companies" - VentureBeat
- Clean Tech Company of the Year - New England Venture Capital Association
- 50 on Fire - BostInno
- Top 100 - Red Herring
- Best Consumer AI Technology - AI Dev World
- Global Cleantech 100
- Competitive compensation including equity
- Remote or local/hybrid in our Cambridge Central Square office
- Home office setup allowance ($200/year)
- Great work-life balance
- Flexible work hours
- Vacation starting at 3 weeks/year + 1 week paid sick time
- Paid parental leave (5 weeks or more depending on location)
- Dependent Care Accounts
- Generous healthcare benefits for employees and dependents
- Medical (90% of the premium and first 50% of the deductible)
- Dental (90%)
- Vision (100%)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life, AD&D, long- and short-term disability insurance (100%)
- 401k plan including Company Match
- Free Sense energy monitor for your home, discounts for friends and family