Software Engineering Manager (Canada)
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Our mission at Sense is to reduce global carbon emissions by making homes smart and efficient. We’re serious about having a real impact on climate change by empowering people to easily take care of their homes and to actively participate in a cleaner, more resilient future.
To accomplish our mission, we are building an AI and automation platform for home energy infrastructure. Our consumer product, built on our unique machine learning technology, gives people visibility into the energy usage of their homes and provides insights to simplify saving energy and money. We are a team of highly curious, collaborative engineers who enjoy working together to solve a wide range of interesting technical challenges across a deep stack that spans embedded, native mobile, web, and the cloud. If the idea of having a significant positive impact on our product (and climate) sounds exciting to you, let's talk!
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to help us expand our engineering team to meet the demands of our growing user base and partner ecosystem. In this role, you will
- Be responsible for keeping your team of engineers engaged, happy, and productive
- Maintain and enrich our collaborative and inclusive work culture
- Collaborate closely with your team and business stakeholders within Sense to determine priorities, scope projects, refine requirements, manage resource allocation, and guide projects to successful completion
- Serve as technical advisor to the team - monitor technical debt, drive infrastructure and tooling investments as necessary and cultivate excellence through technical mentorship
- Keep the team and stakeholders aligned by frequently and proactively communicating status, risks, and tradeoffs
- Improve processes and help define the structure and organization of the engineering department
- Ensure that the engineering team is efficiently delivering quality releases that are aligned with business goals
- Provide regular feedback and coaching to nurture career growth
- Drive hiring of great candidates as the team grows
This role reports to the VP of Engineering.
- Strong communicator with good EQ
- Previous experience as an engineering manager
- Professional experience as a software engineer
- Must be authorized to work in Canada
- Experience on or managing a QA team is a plus
- Experience working with external partners is a plus
- Authorized to work in Canada
- Resident of Quebec or Ontario
- Fluent in English
Sense is building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We welcome candidates with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in tech, and we strive to foster an engaging, respectful and supportive community where everyone feels empowered to do their best work. Sense is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. Wondering if you should apply? Reach out with your resume and thoughts about the role and let’s discuss.
Sense is a growing VC-backed startup with an experienced leadership team and revolutionary machine learning technology.
- Best Startups in Cambridge - Tech Tribune
- "One of the world's top 100 AI companies" - VentureBeat
- Clean Tech Company of the Year - New England Venture Capital Association
- 50 on Fire - BostInno
- Top 100 - Red Herring
- Best Consumer AI Technology - AI Dev World
- Global Cleantech 100
- Competitive compensation including equity
- Remote or local/hybrid in our Cambridge Central Square office
- Home office setup allowance ($200/year)
- Great work-life balance
- Flexible work hours
- Vacation starting at 3 weeks/year + 1 week paid sick time
- Generous healthcare benefits for employees and dependents
- Free Sense energy monitor for your home, discounts for friends and family