Backend Software Engineer
Our mission at Sense is to make all homes intelligent by keeping people informed about what's happening in their homes, and helping to make homes safer, more efficient, and more reliable.
At Sense, we are serious about having a real impact on climate change.
Sense was founded in 2013 by pioneers in speech recognition technologies. This background provides the team with the intuition needed to connect and unlock key data significance relating to home energy efficiency. Sense uses machine learning technology to provide real-time insights on device behavior. Customers rely on Sense for a wide range of uses including monitoring their home appliances, determining whether they left appliances running, and identifying how to reduce their energy costs.
We are looking for a Backend Engineer that will be the first Software Data Engineer on our Data Science team. You will be working with our team to modernize our data pipeline, expand our fleet internationally, and develop tools that help the Data Science team scale and be more efficient.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Experienced in collaborating and building software for a data science team.
- Motivated to build and develop performant and scalable software systems.
- Excited about high-volume, real-time data and solving the challenges it poses.
- Passionate about the energy sector and climate change.
What you'll do:
- Build the infrastructure and architecture for data generation through collaboration with the Data Science team
- Develop active learning tools and UIs with the Data Science team that will facilitate the development of statistical models.
- Analyze, maintain, and improve our existing data systems and infrastructure.
- Design and implement new data pipelines and databases as needed
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years professional experience as a backend or data engineer.
- Solid knowledge of computer science.
- Professional/work experience programming in Python.
- Professional/work programming in C or C++.
- Professional/work with relational databases such as MySQL.
- Professional/work with AWS services is a plus.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Flexible hours and WFH policy.
- Paid parental leave.
- A wide range of difficult and interesting problems to be solved.
- Work with a small team of experienced entrepreneurs creating revolutionary technology.
- Great opportunity to gain experience at a consumer smart home startup.
- Competitive compensation and generous healthcare benefits.
- Though our company is fully remote due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have a great office in Central Square in Cambridge, MA right by the Red Line. (re-opening July 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19)
Join Sense and be part of our mission to reduce global carbon emissions by making homes smart and more efficient. Our energy data and tools demystify home energy use, empower people to take command of their usage, and enable utilities to build a cleaner and more resilient grid.
Sense supports a diverse and inclusive workplace where we all learn from each other. We welcome candidates with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in tech, and we strive to foster an engaging, respectful and supportive community where everyone feels empowered to do their best work. Sense is committed to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Be a part of building something that will make a difference in the world.
- Have a big impact at a VC-backed consumer startup that's doing big things:
- Best Startups in Cambridge - Tech Tribune
- "One of the world's top 100 AI companies" - VentureBeat
- Clean Tech Company of the Year - New England Venture Capital Association
- 50 on Fire - BostInno
- Top 100 - Red Herring
- Best Consumer AI Technology - AI Dev World
- Global Cleantech 100