Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Our mission at Sense is to make all homes intelligent by keeping people informed about what's happening in their homes, and helping to make homes safer, more efficient, and more reliable.
At Sense, we are serious about having a real impact on climate change.
Sense was founded in 2013 by pioneers in speech recognition technologies. This background provides the team with the intuition needed to connect and unlock key data significance relating to home energy efficiency. Sense uses machine learning technology to provide real-time insights on device behavior. Customers rely on Sense for a wide range of uses including monitoring their home appliances, determining whether they left appliances running, and identifying how to reduce their energy costs.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to be the first Data Engineer on our Data Science team. You will be working with our team to develop tools that learn machine learning models for detecting appliances, expand our growing fleet internationally, and modernize our data pipeline.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Passionate about the energy sector and climate change.
- Excited about high-volume, real-time data and solving the challenges it poses.
- Motivated to learn new tools and software to develop performant and scalable systems.
What you'll do:
- As the first Data Engineer on our Data Science team, collaborate in building the infrastructure and architecture for data generation.
- Work with the data science team to develop active learning tools and UIs that will facilitate the development of statistical models.
- Analyze, maintain, and improve our existing data systems and infrastructure.
- Design and implement new data pipelines and databases as needed.
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years professional experience as a data or backend engineer.
- Solid knowledge of computer science.
- Experience programming in Python.
- Knowledge of C/C++ or the willingness to learn is a plus.
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL.
- Experience with AWS services is a plus.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Join Sense and be part of our mission to reduce global carbon emissions by making homes smart and more efficient. Our energy data and tools demystify home energy use, empower people to take command of their usage, and enable utilities to build a cleaner and more resilient grid.
Sense is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Sense’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and are a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Why we think you will love working with us
- Be a part of building something that will make a difference in the world.
- Have a big impact at a VC-backed consumer startup that's doing big things:
- Best Startups in Cambridge - Tech Tribune
- "One of the world's top 100 AI companies" - VentureBeat
- Clean Tech Company of the Year - New England Venture Capital Association
- 50 on Fire - BostInno
- Top 100 - Red Herring
- Best Consumer AI Technology - AI Dev World
- Global Cleantech 100
- Work with a small team of experienced entrepreneurs creating revolutionary technology.
- A wide range of difficult and interesting problems to be solved.
- Great opportunity to gain experience at a consumer smart home startup.
- Competitive compensation and generous healthcare benefits.
- Flexible hours and WFH policy.
- Paid parental leave.
- Though our company is fully remote due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have a great office in Central Square in Cambridge, MA right by the Red Line. (re-opening July 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19)